Currently home to: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Gielgud Theatre opened on 27 December 1906 as the Hicks Theatre, named after Seymour Hicks, for whom it was built. In 1909 the American impresario Charles Frohman became manager of the theatre and renamed the house the Globe Theatre- a name that it retained for 85 years. During reconstruction of Shakespeare’s Globe theatre on the South Bank, in 1994 the theatre was renamed the Gielgud Theatre in honour of John Gielgud. Another refurbishment was completed in 2008.