Currently home to: Mamma Mia!
The theatre was built as one of a pair with the Aldwych Theatre on either side of The Waldorf Hilton, both being designed by W.G.R Sprague. The theatre was opened by The Shubert Organisation as the Waldorf Theatre on 22 May 1905, and was renamed the Strand Theatre, in 1909. It was again renamed as the Whitney Theatre in 1911, before again becoming the Strand Theatre in 1913. In 2005, the theatre was renamed by its owners (Delfont Mackintosh Theatres) the Novello Theatre in honour of Ivor Novello, who lived in a flat above the theatre from 1913 to 1951.