Prince Edward Theatre
Coming soon: Aladdin
The theatre was designed in 1930 by Edward A. Stone, with an interior designed by Marc-Henri Levy and Gaston Laverdet. Named after Prince Edward (then the Prince of Wales, briefly Edward VIII and later Duke of Windsor), it opened on 3 April 1930 with a performance of the musical Rio Rita.
In 1935, Stone converted the theatre to a dance and cabaret hall, being renamed the “London Casino”. As the London Casino, it was badly damaged and all its windows lost in London’s worst air raid of WWII on 10 May 1941. All neighbouring buildings directly across Greek Street were destroyed.
In 1942, stage alterations were undertaken by Thomas Braddock, re-opening as the “Queensberry All Services Club” in 1942 – a club for servicemen where the shows were broadcast on the BBC.
In 1974, the building was acquired by impresario Bernard Delfont and a new cinema screen installed at a cost of £150,000. Four years later, in 1978, it was converted back to a theatre, by RHWL Architects and given its original name, reopening with the world première of the musical Evita on 21 June 1978.