Currently home to: Les Misérables
The Queen’s Theatre opened on 8 October 1907 as a twin to the neighbouring Hicks Theatre (now the Gielgud Theatre) which opened ten months earlier. Both theatres were designed by W.G.R. Sprague. Original plans were to name the venue Central Theatre, however after lengthy debate, it was named The Queen’s Theatre and a portrait of Queen Alexandra was hung in the foyer.
In September 1940, a German bomb landed directly on the theatre, destroying the facade and lobby areas. The theatre remained closed until a £250,000 restoration was completed by Westwood Sons & Partners almost 20 years later. The auditorium retained its Edwardian decor while the lobbies and exterior were rebuilt in a modern style. The reconstructed theatre opened 8 July 1959 with John Gielgud’s solo performance in Shakespeare speeches and sonnets, Ages of Man.