London premiere of ‘Frozen’ postponed until further notice
The London premiere of Frozen – the smash his Broadway musical has announced its postponed opening until further notice, due to the Coronavirus.
The musical was due to open at London’s newly refurbished Theatre Royal Drury Lane in October 2020 but was then pushed back to April 2021 due to the pandemic.
Today, the following statement has been released, announcing ” it has become necessary to postpone the opening of Frozen, just a little longer”.
“As we start a new year, we are all excited about the time when we will be back in the theatre together enjoying the magic of live performance. In light of the recent government implementation of a full national lockdown, it has become necessary to postpone the opening of Frozen, which was planned for April, just a little longer.
The health and wellbeing of our audiences, cast and crew are paramount, and we cannot wait to share the production with you as soon as we are safely able to without current social distancing regulations. Therefore, we have taken the decision to temporarily take the show off sale, and to reassess our timeline. We will announce our new opening date as soon as possible.
You don’t need to do anything at the moment – you will be contacted at the earliest opportunity with your revised performance date. We will do this in chronological order so that customers booked into performances in April and May will be the first to be notified of their new date. If your new date is not suitable, you will be able to request an exchange into an alternative performance or to request a credit voucher, or a refund if necessary. Please don’t contact us until we have emailed you with your new performance date.”
Tickets are now off sale for the production and there is no indication of when the show may begin performances in London. It does however make sense to postpone the production until certainty can be had about being able to commence performances without social distancing, rather than just pushing dates back by a couple of months and hoping it may be possible by then.