Currently home to: The Book of Mormon
The first theatre on the site opened in January 1884 when C.J. Phipps built the Prince’s Theatre for actor-manager Edgar Bruce. It was a traditional three-tier theatre, seating just over 1,000 people. The theatre was renamed the “Prince of Wales Theatre” in 1886 after the future Edward VII.
After 50 years, the theatre’s 800 seats were deemed insufficient for productions of the day, and it was demolished. On 17 June 1937, Gracie Fields sang to the workmen as she laid the foundation stone of the new Art Deco-decorated theatre.
Refurbishment was carried out in 2004 to increase the seating capacity slightly to 1,160 seats and to modernise the theatre’s facilities. New bars were added, the auditorium completely rebuilt, the backstage areas refurbished and the theatre’s famous tower and exterior completely gutted and refurbished with new LED lighting and a crisp modern finish.
Find out more about the West End production of The Book of Mormon, currently playing at London’s Prince of Wales Theatre