Stage Door Records release the Original London Cast
Recording of ‘Privates On Parade’ on CD January 27th,
‘Privates On Parade’ is an award winning musical comedy written by
Peter Nichols with music by Denis King. The plot focuses on the
activities and exploits of the fictional Song And Dance Unit South
East Asia (SADUSEA) who are stationed in Singapore and Malaysia during
the late 1940s.
The production was first staged by the RSC (starring Denis Quilley and
Nigel Hawthorne) at Stratford before transferring to London’s Aldwych
Theatre in February 1977 where it went on to win The 1977 Laurence
Olivier Award for “Comedy Of The Year”. The production was also
honoured at the 1977 Ivor Novello Awards as ‘Best Musical’.
The award winning and critically acclaimed production later
transferred to the Piccadilly Theatre in 1978
before debuting in the United States in 1979. Peter Nichols later
adapted ‘Privates On Parade’ for a 1982 feature film starring John
Cleese and Denis Quilley, reprising his role as the cross dressing
Captain Terri Dennis.
‘Privates On Parade’ is regularly revived, most recently at the Noël
Coward Theatre as part of the Michael Grandage Season in 2012/2013.
The Original London Cast album, recorded in January 1978, makes its
debut on CD and has been digitally remastered from the original master
‘Privates On Parade’ will be the first in a series of London cast
recordings to debut on CD in 2014 on the Stage Door label.
1. OVERTURE – Orchestra
2. S.A.D.U.S.E.A. – The Company
3. THE MOVIE TO END THEM ALL – Ben Cross, Ian Gelder, Denis Quilley
4. THE LITTLE THINGS WE USED TO DO – Denis Quilley
5. BLACK VELVET – Simon Jones, Joe Melia, Tim Wylton, Neil McCaul
6. BETTER FAR THAN SITTING THIS LIFE OUT – Ian Gelder, Emma Williams
7. THE PRINCE OF PEACE – Nigel Hawthorne
8. COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM US – Denis Quilley
9. PRIVATES ON PARADE – The Company
10. THE LATIN AMERICAN WAY – Denis Quilley
11. SUNNYSIDE LANE – Joe Melia, Tim Wylton
12. SUNNYSIDE LANE (REPRISE) – The Company
13. PLAY OFF – Orchestra