Currently home to: Bad Jews
Coming soon: How The Other Half Loves
The Theatre Royal, Haymarket (also known as Haymarket Theatre or the Little Theatre) dates back to 1720, making it the third-oldest London playhouse still in use. Samuel Foote acquired the lease in 1747, and in 1766 he gained a royal patent to play legitimate drama (meaning spoken drama, as opposed to opera, concerts or plays with music) in the summer months. It has been at its current location since 1821, when it was redesigned by John Nash. The Haymarket has been the site of a significant innovation in theatre. In 1873, it was the venue for the first scheduled matinée performance, establishing a custom soon followed in theatres everywhere.